Haiti’s Presidential and Parliamentary elections on November 28 were a well-documented failure, complete with widespread voter exclusion and fraud. IJDH and BAI saw these problems a year ago, and worked hard to call attention to them, including:
- We testified before the U.S. House of Representatives and conducted several Congressional briefings;
- IJDH worked with Representative Maxine Waters on a Congressional sign-on letter to Secretary Clinton, expressing concerns about U.S. financial support for the elections;
- The BAI helped grassroots groups in Haiti organize demonstrations and press conferences;
- IJDH prepared two influential legal memorandums explaining the election’s flaws, and published several commentaries in print and online media;
- The BAI and IJDH were leading voices on the elections, in media from over ten countries, including the BBC, NPR, CBC, Newsweek and Democracy Now!
IJDH and BAI continue to fight for the fair elections that Haitian voters deserve. We’ll keep speaking and writing, and are investigating filing a legal complaint.