March 9, 2012
An admission earlier this week by Bill Clinton, former US President and now the United Nation’s Special Envoy to Haiti, that it was UN soldiers who likely spurred a deadly cholera outbreak in the Caribbean nation was a welcome development for many Haitians. Since the epidemic, unleashed in the aftermath of a deadly earthquake in 2010, the UN has consistently denied responsibility for introducing the deadly virus.
The path forward, according to international experts and health professionals, is for the international community, especially the United States, which brought the UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) troops to Haiti, to take responsibility for the health crisis by taking a proactive role in rebuilding Haiti’s water and sanitation infrastructure.
“The UN ignored warnings about the lethal impact that cholera would have in Haiti, and allowed human waste from its base to poison Haiti’s central river. The UN must now accept responsibility for the deaths it has caused,” said Mario Joseph, Managing Attorney of the Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI). The BAI represents over 5,000 victims of cholera who filed claims with the UN, seeking nationwide investments in water and sanitation infrastructure, compensation for the individual victims, and a public apology.
“President Clinton’s acknowledgement, as a UN official, should bring us one step closer to the UN taking responsibility for what it has done, and fixing it.” said Mark Weisbrot, Co-Director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
“The deaths and disease from the cholera in Haiti will only be eliminated, as they were from Latin America after the 1991 outbreak, when Haiti has adequate drinking water and sanitation,” Weisbrot continued. “Since the UN brought this disease to Haiti – through its own carelessness – it is now the United Nations’ responsibility to provide this infrastructure.”
Although senior UN officials have previously attempted to attribute the epidemic to other causes, an independent panel that prepared a report (pdf) for the UN also found that UN troops were most likely responsible. One of the authors of the report, Daniele Lantagne, said “The most likely scenario is that someone associated with the UN MINUSTAH facility was the person responsible,” in an interview with Aljazeera posted online yesterday.
Other studies published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the New England Journal of Medicine, and the most definitive study by 15 scientists last August, all reached the same conclusion as to the origin of the bacteria.
Earlier this week, U.S. Permanent Representative to the UN Susan Rice called on the UN to take responsibility for the outbreak, urging it to “redouble its efforts to prevent any further incidents of this kind and to ensure that those responsible are held accountable.”
The statement was welcomed by the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH), who considered it an important step in the right direction. IJDH Director Brian Concannon Jr., said in a statement, “It is time for the UN to embrace accountability for its actions, and stop the cholera’s killing.”
Click HERE to See the Original Post