Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti

Haiti’s List of Presidential Candidates Yet to Be Finalized

23 of the 70 hopefuls registered for Haiti’s presidential race were contested. The Provisional Electoral Council, in charge of running the elections, hasn’t released a final list of candidates yet but so far, electoral judges have recommended three people for disqualification. Among them is Haiti’s controversial ex-Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe. The human rights group RNDDH is also advocating for disqualification of certain other candidates on moral grounds, such as involvement with kidnappings, murders and rapes.

Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text.

Former Haiti PM Lamothe’s presidential bid rejected

Jacqueline Charles, Miami Herald

June 3, 2015

A voter puts a ballot in the box during the election in Cite Soleil, Haiti March 20, 2011.

Former Haitian Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe is among three individuals whose candidacy for president is being recommended for disqualification by electoral judges.

Of the 70 people who filed to run for president, the candidacies of 23, including Lamothe, were contested. Judges have recommended to elections officials that 13 be allowed to move forward. No opinion was given in seven of the cases, including that of former Police Chief Mario Andresol and Foreign Minister Duly Brutus, according to a list posted late Tuesday by Haiti’s Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) and read over radio airwaves.

Rejected candidates or citizens now have 72 hours to challenge the recommendations to an appeals board for final arbitration.

Lamothe lawyer Salim Succar says he plans to appeal the judges’ decision. Succar had previously gone to court and received a judge’s order that said Lamothe should be allowed to compete in the elections.

Click HERE for the full text.

Contact IJDH

Institute for Justice & Democracy In Haiti
15 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116

Telephone: (617) 652-0876
General Inquiries:
Media Inquiries: