Given the devastation of Hurricane Matthew, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has decided to pause its planned deportations of Haitians coming to the US-Mexico border. When Haitian migrants started arriving in large numbers to the San Ysidro crossing in San Diego, DHS had decided to resume non-criminal deportations to Haiti, which had been on hold since the 2010 earthquake. It is unclear how soon conditions in Haiti will improve, or how soon the deportations will be resumed.
Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full article.
US policy on deporting Haitians on hold in wake of hurricane
Peter Orsi, The Washington Post
October 11, 2016
MEXICO CITY — Hurricane Matthew’s destruction in Haiti has put on hold a new policy of deporting Haitians who are in the United States without permission but the government intends to return to it in the future, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Tuesday.
Speaking in Mexico City where he held talks with Cabinet officials on border, migration and security issues, Johnson noted that some flights to Haiti have been suspended in the wake of the storm, which has killed hundreds of people.
“We will have to deal with that situation, address it, be sympathetic to the plight of the people of Haiti as a result of the hurricane,” he said. “But after that situation, after that condition has been addressed, we intend to resume the policy change that I brought about several weeks ago.”
The United States stopped deporting Haitians after the Caribbean country was hit by a devastating earthquake in 2010, freeing them on humanitarian parole instead. But on Sept. 21, Homeland Security began putting Haitians in detention facilities as a prelude to sending them home.
Click HERE for the full article.