Haiti is undergoing the 2016 Universal Periodic Review by the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland. On November 7, other Member States of the UN made a range of recommendations to the Government of Haiti to improve Haiti’s human rights situation. Some of the key recommendations that BAI’s and IJDH are advocating for Haiti to accept include:
- -Taking measures to combat violence against women, including gender based violence and in particular updating the legislative framework to reform definitions of rape, criminalize marital rape and gender-based violence and address sexual harassment (multiple countries)
- -Ensuring identity documents are provided to Haitians, including those living in the Dominican Republic (multiple countries)
- -Taking measures to address threats and violence against human rights defenders and journalists (Austria, France) and excessive police force at peaceful protests (Costa Rica)
- -Taking measures to eliminate discrimination based on gender and sexual orientation (Uruguay)
- -Improving women’s participation in public life (Costa Rica)
- -Improving access to water and sanitation, including to address cholera (Mexico, Portugal, Serbia)
More information on these topics can be found below. The one-pagers were written by BAI and IJDH. The full reports are either written (indicated if otherwise) or supported by BAI and local partners.
BAI and IJDH also participated in the 2011 review of Haiti, whose reports can be found HERE.
More information on the UPR in general is available HERE.
Mario Joseph rapport sur l’ouragan Matthew
Peterson du Kolektif Jistis Min sur l’exploitation minière et droits humains
Mario Joseph bay rezime evalyasyon ayiti a
Sienna Merope gives summary of Haiti’s review
Droits de voter et assembler by MOLEGHAF and MELA
Violence and Discrimination against Women and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) People in Haiti – by FASCDIS, SEROvie, MADRE, The Human Rights and Gender Justice (HRGJ) Clinic, CUNY Law School, OutRight Action International
Violations des Droits des Personnes Lesbiennes, Gays, Bisexuelles, Transgenres et Intersexuées by Kouraj, APLCH, Gran Lakou
Sur les abus et exploitations sexuels faits aux Femmes, Filles, et Jeunes Hommes par les agents des Nations Unies, et les violations du droit á l’accès au recours – by KONAMAVID, OFARC
Rapport sur la situation des Droits de la femme Haïtienne by FEMCADH, KOFAVIV, MOFAS, Gender Action
Access to Judicial Remedies in Haiti by Boston College’s CHRIJ, and Alternative Chance (Français ici)
Droits a Sante, Alimentation et Education by GTDMi, PEC Mirebalais, RFFA, PEC Saut d’Eau, PEC Lachapelle
Droit du Travail by BAI, FAVILEK
Violations of human rights related to the ongoing cholera epidemic by IJDH, AID-Free World, HALEC, EJIH and HD3