UN Special Advisor David Nabarro is calling for a consortium to help with the new United Nations plan to fight cholera in Haiti. This consortium would be committed to improving Haiti’s water and sanitation systems, in line with Track One of the new plan. Nabarro said he will make sure Haitians are in charge of the consortium but there will be “backup,” and that donors to the UN plan want to be sure that the strategy will be “pursued to the finish.” So far, France, Korea and Canada have donated to the plan.
Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text.
Donor ‘consortium’ needed to bolster Haiti’s long-term recovery and eradicate cholera, UN adviser says
January 17, 2017
17 January 2017 – A senior United Nations adviser called today for a new “consortium” of donors committed to improving Haiti’s water supply and sanitation services to help finally eradicate cholera from the island, in support of the newly-elected President Jovenel Moïse.
Dr. David Nabarro, the UN Special Adviser to the Secretary-General, will on Wednesday take this message to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he aims to secure support from donor countries, development banks and the private sector for Haiti’s long-term recovery.
“I want to see if it’s possible to get that support in the form of a consortium, making certain that Haitians are in charge […] but ensuring there is backup,” he told UN News in an interview, adding that donors want to be sure that “we are going to stick with this and make certain that the strategy is pursued to the finish.”
Click HERE for the full text.