On December 1, 2016, the United Nations launched a new $400 million approach to cholera in Haiti. The plan includes two track: Track One entails better efforts to reduce cholera, improve access to care and treatment, and address the water and sanitation systems. Track Two is material assistance and support to Haitians affected by cholera, including consultations with cholera victims and their communities. Unfortunately, the plan is only 2% funded so far. Secretary-General António Guterres sent a letter to all UN member states asking them to express their intention to make a voluntary contribution (or not) by March 6.
Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text.
Haiti – Cholera : Funding Failure for the $400M UN Funds
February 26, 2017
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has asked Member States to inform him by 6 March if they intend to make voluntary financial contributions to the implementation of the new UN plan to counter cholera in Haiti, his spokesman said today.
“Earlier this week the Secretary-General sent a letter to all Member States,” in that regard, the Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told reporters at the regular daily briefing at UN Headquarters in New York.
“As you are aware, under the new approach http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-19550-haiti-politics-un-adopts-new-strategy-against-cholera-in-haiti.html , the UN is intensifying support to the Haitian government in building sound water, sanitation and health systems – the best long-term defence against cholera and other water-borne diseases – and also developing a support package to provide material assistance and support to Haitians most directly affected by cholera.”
Click HERE for the full text.