For months, advocates and members of Congress from both sides of the aisle have been urging extension of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haitians. TPS was first granted in 2010 after an earthquake ravaged Haiti and it has been constantly extended since then since conditions in Haiti haven’t improved enough to send people back. Now, the acting director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services has recommended that the Secretary of Homeland Security not extend the TPS deadline. Continued advocacy is needed to make sure that this recommendation is not heeded!
Part of the article is below. Read the full text here.
Trump immigration agency wants to kick 50,000 Haitians out of the USA
Alan Gomez, USA Today
April 20, 2017
President Trump’s immigration agency is recommending that the U.S. end temporary protections by next January for 50,000 Haitians allowed to remain in the United States following a series of natural disasters that have crippled the poverty-stricken Caribbean nation.
James McCament, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, concluded in a letter last week that conditions in Haiti have improved enough to end “temporary protected status” for Haitians, according to a copy of the letter obtained by USA TODAY.
The Obama administration first offered temporary protection to Haitians following the devastating 2010 earthquake. The protection has been extended several times, the latest set to expire July 22. McCament proposed an extension to January to allow for a “period of orderly transition” but said the program should not be extended beyond then.
A final decision on the Haitians’ fate rests with Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly. Spokesman David Lapan said Thursday that Kelly has not yet made that decision.