JOB OPENING: COMMUNICATIONS & DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
SOIL is currently seeking a Communications and Development Associate to assist with communicating project activities and outcomes to our network of donor and grant funders, and with researching and securing additional funding opportunities. As a nimble, fast-paced organization, SOIL is looking for a hard-working candidate that’s enthusiastic, creative, flexible, and committed to the mission of our organization and its success.
Location: Remote based. Portland or Washington D.C. preferred but not required. Up to 25% travel including extended stays in Haiti possible.
Application Deadline: August 16, 2019
About SOIL: SOIL is a non-profit research and development organization working in Haiti to transform a public health crisis into a regenerative environmental solution. In urban Haiti, SOIL is affordably and effectively increasing access to safe, dignified, and sustainable full-cycle sanitation services. For a small monthly fee, SOIL provides over 1,000 households with ecological sanitation toilets and waste treatment services. All waste is safely transformed into rich organic compost in a treatment process that respects World Health Organization standards. SOIL nutrient-packed compost is used to support agriculture and reforestation efforts in Haiti, helping to rebuild fragile ecosystems and growing resilience to the impacts of climate change in resource-poor frontline communities. SOIL is now one of the largest and most promising tests of the paradigm-shifting hypothesis that sanitation no longer needs to focus on waste disposal, but rather on the ecologically-beneficial and economical nutrient capture and agricultural reuse of human waste.
We are seeking a candidate with the following qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication (in English)
- Fluency in English
- Strong time and task management skills
- Attention to detail and ability to tackle and complete assignments on a quick turnaround
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Proactive approach to problem solving
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Graphic design experience and aptitude
- Social media experience
- Knowledge of WordPress and/or HTML
- Experience with MailChimp
- Familiarity with grant writing, reporting, and individual donor engagement
- Experience with CRM databases like Salesforce or NetSuite
- 1+ years experience working in an international nonprofit setting
- Fluency in French or Haitian Creole
As Communications and Development Association you will report to SOIL’s Development Director and work closely with SOIL’s Deputy Development Director, Executive Director, and other staff.
- Support SOIL’s development efforts by working with the development team to improve outreach to current and potential donors.
- Work with the SOIL team to create project updates, beneficiary profiles, blog posts, and other materials as requested to support development efforts.
- Curate SOIL’s social media platforms with unique content such as blog posts, compelling beneficiary stories, and media mentions.
- Manage visiting photographers, videographers, and journalists featuring SOIL’s work as requested.
- Maintain donor records and process acknowlegements
- Collaborate with colleagues to identify improvements needed on the SOIL website and support efforts to keep the website up-to-date and functioning.
- Support the production of an annual report, donor outreach letters and emails, monthly newsletters, and other branded materials to increase awareness of SOIL’s activities among current and potential supporters, collaborators, clients, and beneficiaries.
- Support SOIL’s development efforts by researching possible funders, and writing and editing grant applications and other funding proposals as requested.
- Support the development team in the drafting, editing, and submittal of grant reports in a timely manner.
- Represent the organization at conferences and in meetings with potential sponsors, donors, or partners as requested.
- Participate in organizational and partner meetings on request.
- Other tasks as requested and mutually agreed upon.
Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position requiring 8 hours per day Monday to Friday with exact hours dependent on time zone.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, CV, a writing sample, and 3 references to SOIL by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 16, 2019.
Join the Team
Interested in future opportunities to work or volunteer with SOIL? Please sign up using the form here and we’ll send you an email when we have open opportunities to join the team.