Position Title: Senior Staff Attorney
Date: January 31, 2020
Start Date: Immediate
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Legal Advocacy Director
Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti
The Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) is a U.S.-based human rights non-profit organization. Since 2004, IJDH has worked to advance recognition and accountability to human rights in Haiti. In partnership with its Haiti-based sister organization Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI), IJDH advocates, litigates, builds constituencies, and nurtures networks to create systemic pathways to justice for marginalized communities.
IJDH seeks an experienced attorney to join our growing team. Reporting to the Legal Advocacy Director, the Senior Staff Attorney will design and implement legal advocacy strategies to advance international and national accountability for human rights violations in Haiti, including litigating high-impact cases in collaboration with the BAI legal team. The Senior Staff Attorney will work closely with IJDH and BAI teams in the U.S. and Haiti on both legal work and non-litigation advocacy. Key responsibilities include legal research, analysis, litigation, and public advocacy including community outreach, coalition building, and writing and publishing research. The Senior Staff Attorney will be based in New York, with regular travel to Haiti and Boston.
- Lead and supervise legal research and analysis, and prepare briefs, memos, and written materials for litigation
- Draft public advocacy documents, including reports, action alerts, press releases, letters and op-eds, and coordinate non-litigation advocacy strategies in collaboration with other legal staff and the communications team
- Provide oversight, mentorship, and expertise on litigation and advocacy activities to legal fellows, interns and volunteers
- Manage a portfolio of projects and advocacy campaigns in collaboration with partner organizations, including Haitian diaspora communities, solidarity groups and human rights organizations;
- Plan and participate in meetings, presentations and other engagements with advocacy audiences including governmental, policy, and development stakeholders, advocacy networks, and the broader human rights community.
The Senior Staff Attorney must be an excellent problem-solver and strategic thinker, flexible, highly motivated and reliable. The selected candidate should have demonstrated experience working with affected communities, and exceptional humility, a keen sensitivity to social justice and equity, and a commitment to advancing human rights.
- J.D. or equivalent and license to practice law in the U.S. required;
- At least 5 years of legal experience, including demonstrated litigation experience in areas of international law
- Substantive knowledge of international human rights law and U.S. law required, ideally including both domestic and international litigation;
- Exceptional research, strategic analysis, and writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity;
- High level of initiative, resilience, independence and motivation;
- Ability to handle sensitive relationships and protect the confidentiality of our work and our communications;
- Fluency in English and strong verbal and written skills in French required; Knowledge of Haitian Creole a plus;
- Ability and willingness to travel required;
This position requires applicants to have or be able to obtain work authorization in the United States. IJDH is unfortunately not in a position to petition for work visas.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and contact information for two references electronically to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and position is open until filled. Please include “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line.