Position Title: Legal Director
Date: February 7, 2020
Start Date: Immediate
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Executive Director
Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti
The Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) is a U.S.-based human rights non- profit organization. Since 2004, IJDH has worked to advance recognition and accountability to human rights in Haiti. In partnership with its Haiti-based sister organization Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI), IJDH advocates, litigates, builds constituencies, and nurtures networks to create systemic pathways to justice for marginalized communities.
The Legal Director is part of the leadership team of IJDH. Reporting to the Executive Director, the primary responsibility of the Legal Director is to supervise all program staff and advocacy initiatives, and manage relationships between the program team and communications, fundraising, and development staff. The Legal Director will be based in New York, with regular travel to Haiti and Boston.
- Oversee legal advocacy work and ensure alignment with IJDH and BAI’s strategic plan;
- Ensure day to day management of program activities and coordination of legal advocacy partnership activities between IJDH and BAI;
- Manage and carry out legal work and advocacy on select cases and projects;
- Supervise development and dissemination of program learnings and insight;
- Liaise with communications, fundraising, and development teams to maximize the impact of advocacy and litigation programming;
- Support the Institute’s fundraising and communications initiatives;
- Manage organizational and academic partnerships and collaboration with network members;
- Oversee recruitment, training, and supervision of program staff.
The Legal Director must be an excellent manager, creative problem-solver and strategic thinker, and bring a strong sense of initiative and responsibility to the role. The selected candidate should have demonstrated experience in project and staff management, bring a critical lens to human rights work and a strong grounding in how lawyers accompany affected communities to advance their rights. The position requires exceptional humility, strong collaborative skills, and a keen sensitivity to social justice.
- J.D. or equivalent and license to practice law;
- At least 7-10 years of experience in legal work, preferably including experience working on Haiti human rights issues;
- Excellent legal analysis and written and oral communication skills, and a high level of creativity;
- Ability to advocate in formal legal proceedings, inter-governmental organization proceedings, and with the press, political leaders, governments and grassroots organizations;
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and under pressure;
- Demonstrated ability to manage legal staff, and collaborate with non-legal staff;
- Fluency in English and strong verbal and written skills in French required; Knowledge of Haitian Creole a plus;
- Ability and willingness to travel to Haiti.
This position requires applicants to have or be able to obtain work authorization in the United States. IJDH is unfortunately not in a position to petition for work visas.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and contact information for two references electronically to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position is open until filled. Please include “Legal Director” in the subject line.