Position Title: Legal Director
Date: March 23, 2020
Start Date: Immediate
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Executive Director
Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti
The Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) is a U.S.-based human rights non-profit organization. Since 2004, IJDH has worked to advance recognition and accountability to human rights in Haiti. IJDH’s legal work has successfully strengthened specific areas of international law, particularly with respect to United Nations accountability, with the hopes of expanding its international accountability work. In partnership with its Haiti-based sister organization Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI), IJDH advocates, litigates, builds constituencies, and nurtures networks to create systemic pathways to justice for marginalized communities.
- Oversee legal advocacy and litigation strategies focused on institutional actor accountability (e.g. including the UN-introduced cholera epidemic and UN peacekeeper exploitation and abuse) and emblematic cases of human rights violations;
- Work with team members to design and implement legal strategies;
- Ensure day-to-day management of program activities and assist in coordination of legal advocacy partnership activities between IJDH and BAI;
- Conduct legal research and analysis, and draft litigation and advocacy materials on select cases and projects;
- Guide development and dissemination of program information and learnings;
- Support the Institute’s fundraising and communications initiatives;
- Liaise with communications and development staff to maximize the impact of advocacy and litigation efforts;
- Manage organizational and academic partnerships and collaboration with IJDH’s extensive network of partners;
- Oversee recruitment, training, and development of program staff.
- J.D. or equivalent and license to practice law; LL.M. an asset;
- At least 7-10 years of related legal experience, including experience in U.S. public interest litigation and international human rights litigation and advocacy; experience in corporate accountability an asset;
- Strong knowledge of U.S. law and procedure;
- Excellent legal analysis and written and oral communication skills, and a high level of creativity;
- Ability to advocate in formal legal proceedings, inter-governmental organization proceedings, and with the press, political leaders, governments and grassroots organizations;
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and under pressure;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and mentor legal staff, and collaborate with non-legal staff;
- Fluency in English and very strong verbal and written skills in French required; knowledge of Haitian Creole an asset;
- Ability and willingness to travel to Haiti and within the U.S.
This position requires applicants to have or be able to obtain work authorization in the United States. IJDH is limited in its ability to petition for work visas.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, at least two short writing samples, and contact information for at least two references electronically to email@example.com. Please include “Legal Director” in the subject line.