Position Title: Operations Manager
Date: October 20, 2020
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Boston, MA or New York, NY
Reports to: Executive Director
Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) is a U.S.-based human rights non-profit organization. Since 2004, IJDH has worked to advance recognition and accountability for human rights in Haiti. In partnership with our Haiti-based sister organization Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI), IJDH advocates, litigates, builds constituencies, and nurtures networks to create systemic pathways to justice for marginalized communities. Our work combines traditional legal strategies with organizing, public advocacy, and legal training. Over the past 15 years, IJDH and BAI have advocated and litigated to advance the full realization of human rights in Haiti, including landmark cases for transnational justice and cholera accountability.
IJDH seeks an experienced Operations Manager to:
- Oversee office administration, including IJDH office space, management of contracts, vendor relationships, procurement, record keeping, and general knowledge management;
- Serve as IJDH human resources point person, including staff recruitment and onboarding, submitting bi-weekly payroll, and overseeing the performance management process;
- Lead the annual the budget process, working closely with BAI, the IJDH program team, leadership and the IJDH Finance consultant;
- Collaborate closely with BAI on expense tracking, monthly reconciliation reports, and strengthening local reporting processes. This responsibility may include short trips to Haiti;
- Manage corporate registrations, insurance, and compliance with applicable U.S. laws and regulations;
- Develop and oversee the implementation and review of operational procedures and policies for the organization;
- Supervise staff, interns and volunteers as assigned;
- Other duties as assigned.
The selected candidate should have exceptional interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills, superior organizational ability, and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience, preferably including finance and operations experience;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity; ability to exercise judgement, diplomacy, and sensitivity while working with a range of both internal and external constituencies;
- Demonstrated mature professional judgment, discretion, resourcefulness and problem-solving capabilities;
- Strong organizational and technology skills;
- High level of initiative, ability to take ownership in managing and completing projects, and to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Proficiency in spoken and written Haitian Kreyòl strongly preferred; French language skills desired.
- Commitment to social justice and human rights;
- Experience working or living in resource limited settings is preferred.
This is a full-time position with health care benefits and four weeks annual paid vacation, in addition to holidays and sick days. The position offers a terrific opportunity to contribute to and grow with a highly effective, compassionate, and supportive team doing cutting edge human rights and advocacy work.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume with a cover letter highlighting the skills, experience and interests that make you a strong candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position is open until filled. For more information on IJDH, please go to http://www.ijdh.org.
This position requires that the individual has or is able to obtain work authorization in the United States. IJDH is unfortunately not in a position to petition for work visas.