Ce Mercredi 29 mars 2017 à l’occasion de la commémoration du trentième anniversaire de la constitution haïtienne du 29 mars 1987 les organisations de victimes de choléra, le Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI) et le MOLEGHAF, ont parcouru plusieurs rues de la capitale à travers une marche pacifique en présence de deux députés solidaires de leur cause: honorables député Louis Manés et Roger Milien, avant de s’arrêter pendant plus deux heures devant les locaux du parlement haïtien pour demander aux parlementaires d’exiger le pouvoir exécutif à se positionner clairement en faveur du droit à la réparation des victimes du choléra et du départ de la MINUSTAH. Marche contre la MINUSTAH le 29 Mars 2017 à Port-au-Prince Wesly Gedeon, 29 mars 2017 Trouvez la poste originale ici.
After many delays and even a cancellation, Haitians finally went to the polls on November 20 to vote for a president and members of Parliament. The voting was orderly, despite the fact that Haiti is still recovering from the effects of Hurricane Matthew. The official results are expected in eight days, with a runoff scheduled for January 29. Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. Vote Count Begins in Haiti Presidential Poll Aline Barros, VOA November 20, 2016 Vote counting has begun in Haiti’s repeatedly derailed presidential election. The vote went off relatively smoothly Sunday after an annulled election in October and Hurricane Matthew’s serious damage in the Caribbean nation last month. No official results were expected to be issued for eight days, and Provisional Electoral Council executive director Uder Antoine has said it might take […]
The United States has decided to pull $2 million in funding from Haiti’s elections as a statement of disapproval for re-running the presidential elections in October. After finding that the first round of presidential elections were marred by massive fraud, a commission decided to throw the old results out and hold an entirely new presidential election. European Union observers withdrew to express their disapproval and U.S. State Department officials have said they do not understand the decision to start over. While some feel that the U.S. withdrawal from the elections will be a positive step for Haiti’s sovereignty, some worry that lack of U.S. approval will de-legitimize the elections and provide detractors in Parliament a reason to continue blocking the process. Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. US Withdraws Funding for Haiti Elections Haiti Relief […]
What’s going on with Haiti’s elections? This latest News Roundup from the Haiti Elections Blog includes conflicts over the end of interim president Privert’s term; withdrawal of the European Union observers; political wrangling by former president Martelly’s party, PHTK; and more. Whether or not the international community will fight against a re-run of Haiti’s elections remains to be seen. Click HERE for the full News Roundup. Haiti Elections News Roundup – June 20 Haiti Elections Blog June 20, 2016 The end of interim President Jocelerme Privert’s 120-day term came and went on June 14 without any decision by Haiti’s parliament, leaving confusion in its wake. The disputes over extending Privert’s mandate spilled out into the streets, with some of his opponents hinting at the possibility of his removal by force. The international powers expressed their dismay at the political uncertainty created […]
Based on an early-February agreement, Haiti’s next president was supposed to be sworn in on May 14. As the deadline neared and passed, members of Haiti’s Parliament are becoming increasingly nervous about whether the interim president, Privert, is planning to try to hold on to power. Privert says that the delays are meant to allow the verification of the previous rounds of elections but hasn’t yet given a time-frame for the next round of elections. Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. Haiti’s Parliament to meet in emergency session on Tuesday Jamaica Observer May 15, 2016 PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (CMC) – Haiti’s Interim President Jocelerme Privert has called an emergency meeting of Parliament on Tuesday to discuss a number of issues amid fears by opposition politicians that he could use the occasion to further delay presidential […]
After Haiti’s Parliament rejected the interim president’s pick for Prime Minister on Sunday, it seemed impossible for Haiti to hold elections by April 24 and swear in a president by May 14 as stipulated in a February 2016 accord. Now, Haiti may be back on track to hold those elections, as Parliament gets ready to vote on the next pick for interim Prime Minister, Enex Jean-Charles. But will there be time for a verification of the past rounds of elections and a financial audit of the Martelly government as many have been demanding? Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. After parliament’s rejection, Haiti names a new prime minister Jacqueline Charles, Miami Herald March 23, 2016 PORT-AU-PRINCE — Days after Haitian lawmakers rejected a notable economist to help lead a caretaker government, interim President Jocelerme Privert is […]