The Bureau des Avocats Internationaux, Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti and other international human rights organizations sent a letter to the Haitian government demanding that it renew the mandate of Gustavo Gallon, the United Nations’ Independent Expert on Human Rights in Haiti. The organizations stated in the letter that they regretted that the Haitian government rejected a proposal to extend Gallon’s mandate for a one-year period. They said that they hope that Haiti’s officials will consider the recommendations made by Gallon to advance human rights in the country. A French version of this letter can be found HERE.
National and International Human Rights Organizations Call on Haiti’s Government to Renew the Mandate of the UN’s Independent Expert on Human Rights
Haiti’s prisons were already overcrowded but conditions worsened after the 2010 earthquake, which aggravated the backlog of paper work by destroying several government buildings. Many of the prisoners have never even seen a judge and even men who have been approved for discharge remain in prison due to conflicts in their paperwork. This article shows why improvements in Haiti’s judicial system are so necessary. Part of the article is below. Read the full article here. Haiti’s Prison from Hell: ‘I can’t cope, I have no-one’ Debra Killalea, news.com.au April 4, 2017 IT’S so overcrowded there’s barely room to move. Dozens of men are crammed into cells for hours on end, some without access to a toilet. Welcome to Haiti’s National Penitentiary. Regarded as one of the most overcrowded prisons in the world, Dateline reporter Seyi Rhodes goes inside and discovers the […]
Last month, three plaintiffs sued former Haitian mayor Jean Morose Viliena for human rights violations in Haiti, including an attack on a radio station that caused one of them, Nissage Martyr, to have a leg amputated. Viliena was appointed mayor of Les Irois by ex-president Michel Martelly despite an open case against him in Haitian courts. Now that a case has been opened against Viliena in U.S. courts, and an investigation is underway for the mysterious death of Martyr after the suit was filed, many are looking to see whether the new Haitian president will continue this pattern of impunity. Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. Haiti’s Violent Politics Are Taken to Court. In Boston Frances Robles, The New York Times April 1, 2017 A mysterious death, a decade-old murder and a human rights lawsuit in federal […]
March 16, 2017 H.E. Secretary-General António Guterres United Nations New York, N.Y. 10017 Dear Mr. Secretary-General, We write to you on behalf of the Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI) and the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) to request a meeting to discuss the UN’s New Approach to Cholera in Haiti. As advocates for Haitian cholera victims, we congratulate you on your declared vision of building a culture of accountability in UN peacekeeping and ensuring effective remedies to victims of peacekeeping harms. The New Approach to Cholera in Haiti is a vital opportunity to realize that vision, and to ensure that the rights and dignity of victims are put first throughout the UN’s responses to peacekeeping harms. We are deeply concerned, however, that the current trajectory of fundraising and elaboration of the New Approach is betraying the UN’s promises […]
Mennonite Central Committee, one of IJDH’s partners in the fight for cholera justice, describes some of the steps that led to then-Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s apology to the Haitian people on December 1, 2016. Although such an admission was unprecedented in UN history, it still only represented a half-apology, as Ban failed to mention the UN’s responsibility for bringing the cholera epidemic to Haiti in 2010. The UN also has yet to make good on the new cholera plan that Ban announced the same day as the apology. As Ban himself said that day, “words cannot replace action and material support.” Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. U.N. Witness: Half an apology Kati Garrison, Mennonite World Review March 13, 2017 On Dec. 1, the staff of the Mennonite Central Committee United Nations Office awaited the commencement […]
Komite Jistis pou Twa (3) Fanm Soud nan Kabare yo / Justice Committee for the Three (3) Deaf Women in Cabaret
Port-au Prince, le 08 Mars 2017 LETTRE OUVERTE A LA NATION HAITIENNE ET AU MONDE ENTIER A l’approche de 18 mars 2017, date qui marquera le premier anniversaire de l’assassinat des trois (3) femmes sourdes à Cabaret (Sophonie GELIN, Vanessa PREVIL et Monique VINCENT), le 18 mars 2016. Le KOMITE JISTIS POU 3 FANM SOUD KABARE YO tient à exprimer son indignation face au traitement discriminatoire et laxiste des autorités judiciaires, et au mépris inquiétant des instances se donnant pour tâche de défendre les droits des femmes en Haïti, en particulier le Ministère à la Condition Féminine et aux Droits de la Femme, à l’égard de ce dossier. En effet, selon les faits rapportés par le Réseau National de Défense des Droits Humains (RNDDH) , dans son rapport publié le 26 Avril 2016, dans l’après-midi du 18 mars 2016 Sophonie […]