Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti

Secretary-General Guterres Must Ensure the UN’s Moral Debt to Haiti is Paid

In December 2016, after six years of trying to avoid blame for the cholera epidemic it brought to Haiti in 2010, the United Nations apologized for its role and announced a $00 million New Approach to dealing with cholera. Months later, the fund has only raised about $2 million – from voluntary contributions from South Korea, France Chile, India and Liechtenstein. It is now up to a new Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, to make sure the New Approach continues.  He “needs to use every bit of skill and good will to compel and cajole member nations and philanthropies to make the cholera campaign succeed — and with it, to settle the United Nations’ moral debt to Haiti.” Part of the editorial is below. Click HERE for the full text. U.N. Accepts Blame but Dodges the Bill in Haiti Editorial Board, The […]

Impunity for UN Peacekeepers Who Rape Women in Haiti

In talking to women around Haiti, Al Jazeera Fault Lines found only one in twelve women who reported being raped by a United Nations peacekeeper. The one woman who filed the report never heard back Neither did BAI’s Mario Joseph, who sent legal notices to the UN last summer regarding paternity claims. Women in Haiti feel that the decades of UN impunity show there is no point in reporting this abuse because they will not get justice. Mario is trying to change that, though child support from UN peacekeepers is a rare occurrence. Al Jazeera English will air this story at 2230 GMT / 2330 WAT on 22 March 2017 and repeat it on 25 March 2017 at 1630 GMT / 1730 WAT / 1830 CAT / 1930 EAT. Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. […]

UN Struggles to Fund Cholera Plan or Consult Victims

In December 2016, when then-Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon apologized to Haitians for the UN cholera epidemic for the first time, he also announced a $400 million plan to reduce cholera and aid cholera victims. So far, the plan is only about 2% funded from voluntary contributions and pledges from UN member states. The new Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, has asked all member states to notify him of their intentions regarding the plan by March 6. IJDH Director Brian Concannon emphasizes that despite funding concerns, the UN must consult with cholera victims and their families as it had originally promised. So far, there has been no word of these consultations beginning. Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. UN Fund to Fight Cholera in Haiti Hovers at 2 Percent of Goal Carol Guensburg, VOA News March 1, 2017 Late last year, […]

U.N. may remove MINUSTAH military peacekeepers from Haiti

A United Nations official has said that the MINUSTAH peacekeeping operation in Haiti is under review, and this might lead to the removal of military peacekeepers from Haiti. The U.N. mission has been heavily criticized since its arrival in Haiti, from issues involving sexual abuse to the introduction of cholera in Haiti. The U.N. Security Council is expected to make its decision in April. Part of the article is posted below. Click HERE for the full article. U.N. considering removing military peacekeepers from Haiti: official Makini Brice, Reuters February 9, 2017 The United Nations is considering removing military personnel from its peacekeeping mission in Haiti, a U.N. official said on Thursday, indicating a possible scaling back of one of the body’s longest-running and widely-criticized missions. The U.N. mission in Haiti, often locally called by its French acronym MINUSTAH, has been in the country since […]

Press Conference with Mother of 2 Peacekeeper Babies | Konferans pou laprès yon manman 2 pitit “casques bleus”

Press Conference with a mother of 2 children United Nations peacekeepers abandoned in Haiti Bureau des Avocats Internationaux February 2017 Hats off to all of the media who is present at this press conference, and to Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (BAI) for the legal support it is giving me and the other mother who are victims in the case of children who MINUSTAH soldiers conceived and then abandoned in Haiti. The object of this press conference is to ask the Haitian State, which signed the accord for MINUSTAH to come stay in the country, to help me receive child support for the two children a MINUSTAH soldier left me to take care of, even though I don’t even have two pennies to rub together. My name is Beatrice Germain and I am living in Jeremie, which is in the Grand […]

Brazil, Largest Contributor to MINUSTAH, Plans Withdrawal

Brazil has started to withdraw its military contingent from MINUSTAH, the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Haiti. It plans to complete the withdrawal by April 15, 2017. Brazil is the largest contributor to MINUSTAH and had actually extended its participation last year. MINUSTAH emphasizes that this decision was up to Brazil to make. Part of the article is below. Click HERE for the full text. Haiti – Security : Brazil withdraws from Minustah HaitiLibre February 1, 2017 Brazil has begun withdrawing its military contingent from the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) and is considering completing its withdrawal before 15 April. Note that Brazil in Haiti with its 979 peacekeepers is the largest contributor with 40% of the UN Mission. In addition, it is the Lieutenant-General of the Brazilian Army Ajax Porto Pinheiro who commands the military component of […]

Contact IJDH

Institute for Justice & Democracy In Haiti
15 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116

Telephone: (617) 652-0876
General Inquiries: info@ijdh.org
Media Inquiries: media@ijdh.org

Givva
Use Giving Assistant to save money and support Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti Inc.